Adams exposure [Part 1 of 2]

Have you heard of a town that boasts to tourists a challenge to venture into their lush forests and find 14 beautiful waterfalls? Instead of bar hopping in the city, how about trying one winery after another to sample several locally fermented wines from wild berries and rice? Fancy sharing a sumptuous meal and dancing away with fascinating indigenous peoples? How about spending a night or two inside a jail cell, as a pampered guest of the friendliest, most hospitable, industrious and self-reliant community in Ilocos Norte? All these can be experienced in the upland town of Adams here in Ilocos Norte province.

Last March 13 and 14, me and my fellow members of The Ilocandia Photographic Society (TIPS) accepted an invitation from Dr. Bielmaju Bawingan, the Municipal Mayor’s better half, to experience the best that Adams has to offer to adventure-seekers, nature lovers, foodies, and admirers of local culture.

Getting there is an adventure itself
The road to Adams begins off the provincial highway in barangay Pancian, Pagudpud. It being a rough mountain side road, the 30-minute trip is already an adventure, especially for commuters who’s only way to get there is by riding at the back of a single motorcycle. Sights abound immediately as soon as your trip starts, zipping by the forested mountainside, dipping on occasional streams, and spotting a few waterfalls and birds. In the old days, you have to cross several, long hanging bridges to reach the town proper. But gazing at them instead and imagining how it’s like to drive through them is enough to give some goosebumps.

Adams exposure-01 (by alaricxyz)

Photos of waterfalls and more travel log after the jump 

Upper Maligligay falls
The five of us TIPSters had to split up in order to document every falls that the town wishes to showcase for tourists to trek to. I, being the youngest in the group (*ehem.* that’s true), was given liberty by my elder brothers to pick the falls tour I wanted. I chose the “easiest” of the four falls tour since I am a little on the heavy side (half-truth? hehe). So, it’s time to hit the road to find Maligligay falls.
After a 15-minute motorcycle ride, I reached Sitio Maligligay where I met up with my guide Manong Noling. I took a few moments to photograph the hanging bridge there which is some 35 feet long and 10 feet above the stream running underneath. The bridge is made of very thick slab of wood which is now rotting and has termites slowly eating it, or at least trying to. Some of the bridge panels are missing. The path that leads to it is almost unrecognizable, having been unused for years and now covered with tall grass and weeds.

This was my first real hike. The trek to the two other falls I went is a walk in the park compared to this. I’m talking about Kabigan Falls in Pagudpud and Kaangrian Falls in Burgos, both in Ilocos Norte. The hike to upper Maligligay falls was definitely challenging. Most of the path is going up the mountain and you’ll find yourself clinging on foliage and roots along the delicate mountainsides. There were numerous huge spiders on the way and I even passed by a hive of wild bees. As I was studying it to take a photo from about 7 feet apart, the hive started to disperse so we had to split.

Trekking under the forest canopy was an amazing experience! I was in awe the whole time looking up at the tall trees and hearing the sound of insects and birds. When we finally reached upper Maligligay falls after 30 minutes of trekking (20 minutes for locals, supposedly), I forgot how tired I am and I immediately zoned out to photograph it. I was also able to regain my energy by drinking the cool water from the falls and catching the refreshing breeze rushing with the falls.

Adams exposure-02 (by alaricxyz)
Upper Maligligay falls has two major parts, each having a height of about 10 feet and have deep, inviting basins that are also about 10-15 feet in width. Pictured here is the first portion of upper Maligligay Falls.


Adams exposure-03 (by alaricxyz)
Downward view leading to the lower portion.


Adams exposure-04 (by alaricxyz)
I climbed up the upper falls and found this huge fallen tree.


Adams exposure-05 (by alaricxyz)
Downward view from above the upper portion. Notice manong Noling in the middle left of the frame
.


Adams exposure-06 (by alaricxyz)
A fallen tree trunk is stuck directly under the falls in the bottom portion of Maligligay falls. It almost looks like it has limbs raised in joy.


Lower Maligligay falls
After an hour of making photographs, we backtracked in order to find the path to lower Maligligay Falls. The most memorable parts of my trek occurred during this. To think that since we were just backtracking, there wouldn’t be any surprises, but, voila! The soft mountain side path we threaded on earlier must have been too stressed by my weight. I slid down the muddy cliff on my back, nothing to grab on to in order stop my descent! But, what saved me was a small and thorny palm-like shrub which caught me by my inner thigh. Ironic? Not really. Fortunately its thorns didn’t penetrate my pants. Glad it wasn’t my..., you know, that hit the base of the shrub. I was safely pulled back up by my guide, Manong Noling, who was genuinely concerned about my safety and totally focused on getting me to the destinations. He was also kind enough to volunteer to carry my stuff throughout the hike and assist me during the shoot.

Adams exposure-10 (by alaricxyz) Adams exposure-07 (by alaricxyz)
Took the chance to photograph the hive and one of the spiders during our backtracking. In shooting the hive, I just passed by it and shot in high speed continuous, for fear that they will attack. But Manong Noling was reassuring that the bees attack only when their hive is threatened. 

 
Adams exposure-09 (by alaricxyz)
We reached lower Maligligay falls after some 40 more minutes of trekking in the forest and along a rocky river. The falls has a steeper drop compared to the upper set of falls. I like how it almost seems enclosed with those rock walls in the middle of the forest.
 
Considering that the sun was already hidden from view from within the forest in order to make a good exposure (it was already 1pm), add to that the scheduled food and portrait photography we had to do in Adams town proper, I decided to head back to the main road even though we still had Nacdor falls and the old Maligligay logging trail to shoot. It also started drizzling on our way back, hence, I won’t be able to use my camera.
I thought I was extra careful this time around but I can’t help falling on my back as I broke this tree trunk we used as a path. I also had a horrific fall forward, hitting my left knee with all my weight on a rock in the river. I had Manong Noling worried big time. At least I didn’t get any obvious fractures, just some abrasions (X-ray results showed no bone abnormality afterwards. But I still have some knee pains until now.). I guess I lost focused on that part of the trek because of my delight from having reached level ground. :-P

Photography tips
Besides the obvious: bring a sturdy tripod, shoot wide, etc., when hiking, watch the time. It get's dark sooner inside the forest. Bring some plastic bags in case it rains. Also, if you are not weather-sealed, watch that sweat from falling on your gears.


--
Come back to this blog tomorrow for the second and final part of "Adams exposure: enjoying a feast with the indigenous peoples.
--
All photos are Copyright 2010 © by Alaric Yanos. Unauthorized use is punishable by law.

Comments

Popular Posts